As chock full of popular culture parody as ever, the stop-motion television series Robot Chicken
continues to reel in viewers. The program's penchant for kicks to the groin and ironic social commentary have won it a consistent following, especially when the show prepares programming stunts such as its Robot Chicken: Star Wars
piece, which debuted only recently. Airing late in the evening on the Adult Swim cable network, Robot Chicken
makes use of idealized puppetry and toys to recreate, and subsequently desecrate, images and icons of popular entertainment of the past thirty years. The Robot Chicken: Star Wars
piece, earned notable ratings:
Adult Swim premiered its highly anticipated Robot Chicken Star Wars
special across four telecasts Sunday night (10 p.m., 11 p.m., 12 midnight and 1 a.m.), earning the network the #1 ranking on ad-supported cable for total day delivery of adults 18-34, adults 18-24, men 18-34 and men 18-24, according to preliminary data from Nielsen Media Research. The original half-hour special, a comedy satire of George Lucas' ubiquitous movie franchise, proved enormously popular with young adult audiences, which grew by double digits across nearly all demos.
Overall, a total of 5.7 million different viewers ages 2+ tuned in to the four telecasts on Sunday night. The strength of Robot Chicken Star Wars also helped Adult Swim claim its crown once more as the #1 cable network for total day delivery of young adults 18-34 and 18-24.
Delivery and ratings highlights of Robot Chicken Star Wars' four-telecast premiere, as well as Adult Swim's overall performance vs. the same time period last year include the following:
Robot Chicken Star Wars (Sunday, 10p, 11p, 12a, 1a) vs. same June '06:
ADULT SWIM (M-Th, Sa, 11pm-6am; Su, 10pm-6am) vs. same '06:
- Adults 18-34 delivery (711,000) increased by 15%, and ratings (1.1) by 22%
- Adults 18-24 delivery (426,000) improved by 12%, and ratings (1.5) by 7%
- Men 18-34 delivery (481,000) expanded by 23%, and ratings (1.4) by 17%
- Men 18-24 delivery (299,000) jumped by 12%, ratings (2.1) by 11%
2007 Adult Swim Ratings Reports on AnimaitonInsider.net:About Adult Swim:
- Adults 18-34 delivery (456,000) grew by 23%, and ratings (0.7) by 17%
- Adults 18-24 delivery (292,000) advanced by 26%, and ratings (1.0) by 25%
- Adults 18-49 delivery (575,000) leapt by 19%, while ratings (0.4) were unchanged
- Men 18-34 delivery (287,000) ballooned by 30%, and ratings (0.9) by 29%
- Men 18-24 delivery (183,000) catapulted by 28%, and ratings (1.3) by 30%
Adult Swim (AdultSwim.com), launched in 2001, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.'s network offering original and acquired animated comedy and action series for young adults. Airing overnights six days a week for a total of 45 hours weekly, Adult Swim shares channel space with Cartoon Network, home to the best in original, classic and acquired programming for children and families, and is seen in 91 million U.S. homes. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, is a major producer of news and entertainment product around the world and the leading provider of programming for the basic cable industry.